Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Get The Ballet Body

I used to love taking fitness classes.  In fact I used to teach them in Knoxville, TN and San Antonio, TX.  But for whatever reason I haven't taken a class in ages.  Which is a shame since my gym, Pura Vida Club, has some amazing ones.  Can't even remember what the last class I took - probably a spinning or pilates mat class.

So today I decided to take a Ballet Body class.  Almost didn't get to because of the threat of storms but I made it.  I love to dance and what female doesn't what the toned beautiful lines of a ballet body.

Here's Pura Vida's description of the class:  This class will tone and sculpt giving you the lean, dancer's body look you desire. You will sweat and burn your way through strength training exercises rooted in Ballet, Pilates, and gymnastics. Barefoot encouraged. Reservations required. 

I walk in to the class and see everyone grabbing a mat, ball, yoga strap, and 3 pound weights so I do the same.  The instructor is Amanda, whom I see sometimes when I'm doing Pilates.

Amanda starts the class with shoulder circles to loosen up then straight in to arms.  You might think 3 pound weights sound wimpy but go through the series of lifts and pulses that we did for about 10 minutes and you quickly find out 3 pounds can weight a ton!  From weights we went straight into a 3 position series of push ups then over to the barre for leg work.

At the barre,  we do a series of relevé moves with feet parallel and in position of heels together and toes apart.  Then add the ball between legs just above knees for additional focus on inner thighs.  With these moves it's easy to see why ballerinas have that long, lean, toned look!

Then it's back to mats for abs then stretching with yoga straps.  We end the class with hip flexor stretches.

It's a great class and I'm sure I'm going to feel it tomorrow.  It went by so fast - that's a sign of a great class.  It definitely showed me that I need to do more ballet moves and stretching to increase flexibility, especially since I do so much cardio stuff like running and hiking which can cause you to really tighten up.

I'm going to keep going for the Ballet Body!  

No comments:

Post a Comment