Sunday, June 3, 2012

Fairy Caverns & Vapor Caves

Yesterday was a fun day of going underground.  In the morning, we headed back up to the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park to ride a few rides then go on the Fairy Caverns Tour.  On that tour you go about 200 feet below ground to an amazing cavern room called King's Row.  


After the tour and a little more park fun, we headed to lunch then the Glenwood Hot Springs, which were packed.

Then two of my cousins and I headed over to the Yampa Spa & Vapor Caves.  We started first with mineral baths using water from the hot springs.  Then I enjoyed an hour massage, which I desperately needed to work out some kinks and just to plain ole relax.  After the massage, I joined my cousins in the vapor caves, which are geothermal steam baths.  Water at 125 degrees flows from the hot springs into the caves to naturally create a steam bath environment where the temperatures stays in the 110-112 degrees range.  You go in for 10-15 minutes sittings then back out to a cooling room or relaxation room.  Then head back into the steam.  The Ute Indians regarded the caves as a sacred place of healing and rejuvenation. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment