Saturday, July 9, 2011

Climbing To New Heights

Today's workout was all about climbing to new heights.  I'm actually afraid of heights but will challenge myself to face that fear and today it was rock climbing in Breckenridge.  I'd rock climbed about two weeks ago in Estes Park.  Other than that, I'd repelled as a child so my rock climbing skills are limited.  It's a workout physically, mentally, and emotionally for me.  There are four of us climbing including two boys, 8 and almost 10.  Of course I was picked to go first.  I started out great...and then about 25 feet up I have my moments.  But I listened to my guide Eric from CBST Adventures and after several catch my breath moments I made it to the top, which was about 40-45 feet high.  It's interesting that the lower part is easier for me that the climbing mentally.  Some folks don't like the feeling of sitting back and walking down the side of the rock.  The whole process of climbing and lowers takes me about thirteen minutes.  Once down on the grounds I still have some shakes but glad to be back on solid ground.  In order to do this climb there's also a hike in and out.  It's about a 15-20 minute hike through rocky terrain and some forest in the White River National Forest.  The view overlooking Windy Pointe and Prospector campgrounds and Lake Dillon with the mountains in the distance is definitely worth the hike and climb!

No comments:

Post a Comment