Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Franklin Method

Monday morning I tweaked my back about 6am by turning and catching one of my heels on some pulled up carpet at work.  It was the kind of take your breathe away sharp pain every time I tried to turn or bend over after that.  I don't generally have back issues so I thought I just pinched something and it would go away.  Well by 11am it didn't.  There goes my workout with Erin, I thought.  I text her and let her know I was taking two Aleve and laying down for bit but that I was still going to try to come.  Okay call me stubborn but I really enjoy my Monday Kinesis and Pilates sessions.  So when I got to Pura Vida Club, it was pretty obvious I wasn't in any shape to do Kinesis and really not much as far as Pilates.  So Erin turned the session into a PT session for me with the goal to loosen up the back and get me out of pain.

She had me do some stuff that is based in the Franklin Method.  I'd never heard of it, but apparently it's gaining popularity in the dance, Pilates, yoga and physiotherapy worlds.  She had me lay down on two softball size soft balls first both at the low back (where my pain was), then upper back, then one high and one low, and then the other way high and low.  Each position was done for a couple of minutes.  It suppose to help break up the fascia webbing of soft tissue.  Since the injury was still a very sensitive area, Erin used this method with soft balls instead of a foam roller or other exercises.  I could feel my back releasing.



She also had me do some other gentle moves to help with back and open up or stretch hip flexors and hamstrings then ice for 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off, then 10 minutes on again.

Crazy how sometimes a small move or twist can result in a lot of pain.  After the relief I got from the Franklin Method, I'm a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment