Monday, March 26, 2012

Hike & Ski In Same Day At Telluride

On a beautiful chilly Friday morning, the folks at The Hotel Telluride recommended I go up Jud Wiebe Trail for a nice hike.  They said I would get a combination of dirt, mud, and snow.  It's a locals favorite hike.  So off I went.  As I went higher I did get into some snow and ice.  I also got some incredible views of Telluride.

I was on a time schedule and the snow and ice slowed me down a little on the hike.  To do the whole hike it takes about an hour and half but with the snow and ice it takes about two hours.  So I made it almost to the top and had to turn back down to make my ski time.

Well on the way down, even though I was trying to be careful in the snow and icy spots, I slipped on ice and fell flat on my back and slammed my elbow into a rock.  Not exactly what I'd planned!  Thankfully I hit the rock just below the elbow and didn't break a bone.  But I have a huge bruise and swollen elbow/arm from that adventure.
Some of what I hiked through on Jud Wiebe Trail
So I hurried down as fast as I could after my spill and got ready for skiing.  It was a beautiful spring day for skiing at Telluride!  I actually covered a lot of ground as we road up Sunshine Express then skied over to Prospect Express to the where you can start hike to go up Palmyra Peak.
Palmyra Peak

From there we skied Galloping Goose, after a spill at top of run from my boots not fulling clipping in to bindings from packed snow.  Then up Gold Hill Express to Revelation Bowl and down to Woozley's Way and lunch at Bon Vivant.  After lunch we skied down after a fun afternoon on the slopes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment