Monday, March 5, 2012

Lunges & Squats In The Sunshine

It was such a gorgeous day in Denver with highs around 68.  I was so excited when my trainer Erin at Pura Vida Club text me this morning asking if I wanted to take my Kinesis session outside. Absolutely yes!

We used the top level of a parking garage.  Starting with running up and down stairs, this was an old school workout.  Erin put me through a series of lunges, squats, medicine ball tosses, push ups, tricep dips, and other exercises.

The lunges with twist we've done before but add an incline and it's a different ball game.  With a weighted medicine ball, step forward into a lunge, twist across that front leg, then repeat on other side.  Lunge with right leg forward, twist to the right and lunge left leg forward, twist to the left.  Once I got to the top of the ramp, I went back down and started over again but this time twisting in the opposite direction.  Lunge right leg forward, twist left, then lunge left leg forward, twist right.


I really like the weighted medicine ball squat, press, throw.  Erin threw me the medicine ball.  I went into a squat, then as I stood up, threw ball up and over back to her with a goal of getting the ball to go high.  You can do this exercise by yourself but you loose the toss.  It's fun to do this with a workout partner!

Here's Erin explaining the medicine ball squat, press, throw.
After 30 minutes of go-go-go outside we headed inside for an hour of Pilates.  My hamstrings are super tight so she had me do some pretty intense hamstring stretches for the last 10 minutes of the session.

Great way to kick of the work week!


No comments:

Post a Comment