Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why I Love Walks in the Park

It's windy, but sunny and warm in Denver today.  So the perfect day to head to my favorite park, Wash Park.  I got in a 2.5 mile run then my friend Natalie Tysdal, who works with me at Fox 31/CW 2 joined me.  We walked for about 3 miles and just had the best time.  When you walk and talk with friends, the time just flies.

I use my runs to clear my head, brainstorm ideas, and work through projects.  Usually my run time is just me and my iPod pounding the pavement one step at a time.  It's my check-out time.

Yes I'm a runner, but I'm also a walker.  My mom has always been a big walker.  One of my favorite things to with her is a post dinner walk around the neighborhood.  So walking with friends is a shear delight for me.  Just like today, some of my best conversations have happened on walks.  Here's why - when you are walking and chatting you lose the distractions of everything else.  It's truly one-on-one time.  That is precious time to me spent with friends.

So my advice - give a gift to a friend and yourself.  Make a walk date instead of happy hour, lunch, or dinner.  It's a gift because you're doing something good for yourself and giving the precious gift of time together.

Later this afternoon, when I should have been working on taxes, I couldn't pass up taking my dog for a walk in the park.  It was windy but with temperatures in the low 70s for the first time since October 31st, I just couldn't pass up getting in another mile in the park.  

No comments:

Post a Comment